Monday, August 24, 2009

Time to go to School

We all have to do things that we do not want to do sometimes. Today was one of those sometimes for me. I took Reese to kindergarten. I have been through this before but for some reason this time it is different. I guess just because Reese is not the same child as Soren, I don't know. She is ready and excited, so why do I feel so anxious? I did not cry; I was brave and strong. But I may cry later when I see her come home.

We walked to school and she went in and found her spot. I spoke with the teacher, put away Reese's things, took a picture and knew that it was time to go but I kept trying to think of reasons to stay. I really did not want to leave without her. I didn't let her know I felt that way; I am glad that she wants to be at school, but it was heartbreaking for me. I walked out the door and watched from the hallway for a few minutes before my neighbor and I convinced ourselves that we really did have to go.

Soren, on the other hand, walked in the front door and was off to the 5th grade hall. She is an old pro at this now. I am excited for her new year; she was put in a group with some good kids and I know they will have fun together.

I am at a new point in my life and it has snuck up on me. For the last 10 years and 8 months my purpose has been to be at home taking care of my children. There are other things that I do, but as far as my main purpose, that is it. Starting today, from 8-3 Monday through Friday, there are no kids at home for me to take care of. So what is my purpose now? It is a strange feeling to be here. How did it happen? I don't feel like I have missed out; I have been blessed to be at home with the girls and I would not trade that for anything in the world. It is the most precious gift I could have been given as a parent. Now I have to trust that they will be ok without me up there at that big school with hundreds of other kids. I have to trust that the adults around them will realize how special and wonderful they are. I have to trust that they will have friends and not be lonely or sad. So that is what I am trying to do. One day at a time, right?...

Reese's First Day of Kindergarten 8-24-09

Soren's First Day of Fifth Grade




at breakfast Reese realized that she has her first loose tooth! What a big day!

No comments: