Tuesday, April 1, 2014

TTTT 9.21.13

The Texas Time Trials

This was the second year that I have participated in this ultra-cycling event.  Last year I was part of a 2 woman team for the 12 hour but this year I decided to try the 12 hour solo.  I fell in love with the event last year, even though it poured down the heaviest rain that this area has seen in years ALL DAY LONG.  The people and the atmosphere are inspiring and addicting so I knew I would be back.  It is a 26 mile loop that you do as many times as you can in 12 hours.  You cannot start a final loop unless you cross the start line before 5:00pm.  The race is from 6am to 6pm with other riders on the course participating in the 500 mile, 24 hour, 12 hour, 6 hour and the 1 loop races.  All of these can also have teams and you can be on a road bike, tandem or recumbent.

Our first loop is in the dark and I learned last year that having a good bike light is very important.  I was ready this year and made it through the first loop with no difficulty.  A quick stop to shed the light and add the aero bottle and I was off for loop 2.  My plan was to stop each loop briefly to refuel.  The family was due to arrive mid-morning after Soren's cross country race.

It was such a beautiful day!  There had been rain in the pre-dawn hours and we were welcomed by a rainbow as our day began.  

Toward the end of loop 3 Pete and Soren drove by to let me know they were all here and that gave me a new boost of energy.  After loop 4 I added some tunes and that was another boost.  My spirits were high; I love it out there, but my legs were beginning to feel the hours and hills.

Loops 6 and 7 were extremely difficult.  I had fueled on perpetuem and electrolytes all day and my stomach decided it had had enough liquid.  I had to force as much down as I could but the lack of calories made my riding sluggish.  I was informed at the start of loop 6 that I was in first place in my division but that 2nd was gaining on me each lap.  That put a lot of pressure on me and when she caught me close to the end of lap 6 I was actually a little relieved.  As I came close to the end of loop 7 I knew that I may still have to ride another loop if it was not yet 5:00.  As I crossed, Pete told me I was a few minutes too late and I was SO glad!  I rode 186 miles in 11:10.  2nd place.  

It was a wonderful experience and I will go back each year that I am able.




I had to be at packet pickup by 4:30.  Glen Rose is a 45 minute drive from the house.  I also needed to set up my aid station for the day and be on the start line by 6:00.  Thank goodness for ole faithful (my awesome mini-van!)  I headed down the night before and crashed in the car.  Room for me, my bike and all of my race crap.  Best car ever.
Bike tan lines are the best
My faithful supporters.  I appreciate them so much!
Each loop I would stop by my aid station and Pete would have ready for me all that I needed so I could get right back out there.  Priceless.







Done!!  Celebrating with a Dr. Pepper.   Ahhhhhhh

Soren wasn't bored at all :)

This is where I stop to find out if I made it back in time to start one final loop.  In my head I was saying "please say no!  please say no!"


Nancy came out to support me, too!

This is the girl who came in first.  She had just finished her last lap and she hurt so bad we had to help her off of her bike!


No comments: