Sunday, September 9, 2007

swim clinic, aquathon, trainers and such

Another busy week. Everyday this last week Lockheed Martin offered a free swim clinic to promote their swim program. Soren, Reese, and I went each evening to learn from past and present world record holders and Olympians how to perfect our strokes. They even let Reese get in the water with the 6 and under group. SO CUTE! She totally swam the backstroke, breast stroke and freestyle. Her coach told me that she needs to be on the team. They usually want kids to be 5 before they join but because of her ability to swim and follow instructions they would let her come. We decided to put Soren in their program for sure. She will swim on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:45 to 5:30. I am really excited for her to be a part of this. The coaches are amazing and I like that they do not want her to swim everyday for 2 hours. She is still so young and I am afraid that she would get burned out at that pace. The clinic took up our afternoon and evening all week, but it was well worth it.


reese learning how to frog kick for the breast stroke


reese lined up on the wall with the under 6 group


soren with the 7-9 year olds



To end the clinic there was an aquathon on Saturday morning for kids 6-18 years old. For the 6-12 year olds it was a 1/2 mile run, 300 meter swim, 1/2 mile run. Soren was the youngest competitor and came in 5th place in the 12 and under group.


ready for the aquathon to start




burning up the pavement on the 1st run

all of the participants


Today was supposed to be Pete's last long bike/run brick workout, but rain (and I think football) has him on the trainer rather than out on the road. Reese decided that she needed to work out, too.



Soren is doing some rainy day art work.



I have never been one to let my goals be known; that way if I do not meet them, nobody knows! However, this last year has given me a lot more confidence in myself and so I here by announce that I am training for the Whiterock Marathon on December 9th. I almost changed my mind yesterday after my first long training run. It was very difficult and I have a long way to go, but I am determined to give it all I've got. Stating it here will make me feel like I HAVE to do it. So there you have it; that is my next goal.

No comments: