Monday, March 2, 2009

3 years

It dawned on me this morning that March 2009 marks the 3rd anniversary of my "do something about it" decision. 3 years ago as I was approaching my 30th birthday I realized that my clothes were fitting just a little bit tighter and my body was a little bit softer than I would like. Having no workout experience (Kara took me to a step aerobics class once and we quickly realized that I did not have the coordination necessary to succeed, so I never went back) I put on a pair of tennis shoes (found them in the back of my closet) and headed out for a little jog.

Pete sees me dressed in running attire and questions my actions. I answered confidently "I am going running!"

A flat, confused "oh" was the response as I walked out the door.

Our house is located at the peak of a street with a pretty good incline. I headed down the hill toward the stop sign approximately 1/10 mile away. When I reached the sign (it had probably been about 1 minute) I heaved a breath, stopped running, turned around and started walking slowly back up the hill to the house. I was so defeated. My thoughts were "I can't even run down the street! I feel like I am going to die!"

When I went back into the house Pete looked at me with big eyes and asked if I was OK. My face was bright red and I was breathing hard. I broke down and told him what happened and his response was simply, "just try to go a little farther tomorrow".

So I did. Everyday. My first goal was to be able to run 5k (3.2 miles). I remember that day so well. It had been almost 3 months since I first began running and I was out to do about a 2.75 mile run. I was feeling good, so I decided to go for it and I was able to do the full 5k without stopping. I burst into the house and announced my accomplishment to my coach :) who was not surprised at all. He knew all along that I could work up to it.

Meeting that goal gave me the confidence to try more challenging distances and with Pete's help and encouragement I have met each one with great success. 2 months after meeting my first run goal I completed my first mini triathlon; it was a 300 meter swim, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run. A perfect first triathlon distance that got me completely hooked on the sport. A year later I found myself in Arkansas completing a half iron distance tri (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, half marathon run) and the by next summer I had worked up to the full iron distance.

Exactly 2 1/2 years after the day that I could barely run down the street I was an ironman. Being active has become my lifestyle. It never was before and that is so hard to imagine now. It is such a great feeling and has impacted my life in many positive ways.

So for anyone out there who thinks "I could never do that"....yes, you can. Because if I can do it, anyone can. I highly encourage everyone to make some sort of physical goal and go for it. It is really amazing!

Yea for my 3 year anniversary of being fit!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow, I had just assumed you were a runner in college or something to that effect. What a rock star!!! To answer your WW2 question, we don't have any 12 & unders with BB times. I was at the meet on Sunday with 2 of Brian's swimmers (13 & up). Our younger WW2 swimmers will be at the BC Meet next weekend. Hopefully some of our 12 & unders can get BB times soon.

Sam and Ann Gonzalez said...

Way to go! That is great and very inspiring!!!! As always, you guys are amazing. Keep up the good work. Love you, Ann

mat said...

CONGRATS! It is inspiring to know what we can do when we put our minds to it. Our bodies and minds are wonderfully created.
-Mat

mat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.