Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bummer

I remember the first time I paid over $1.99 for a gallon of gas; it was two years ago and I was driving a beastly 4 wheel drive suburban that got 11 miles per gallon. Got rid of the boat and then the suburban when gas stayed in the $2.50 range and bought bikes. Good decision.

Today marks the first time I paid more than $2.99 for a gallon of gas. Burleson was able to keep the price at $2.99 until late last week. Today I was driving home from my weekly ladies lunch date (love it!) and saw that the price was still $3.05. I have been waiting a couple of days to fill up hoping it would drop back down in the $2 range so I could hold on to my record, but alas, I needed gas. I decide to pick Reese up and then go to the gas station. By the time I pull up to the pump it read $3.15. Dude! 10 cents in 20 minutes?! Come on! I left that station and raced down to the QT where I nabbed the last of the $3.05. Sweet. I saved a whole $1.50. I felt so defeated having paid $3 for gas until I got home and saw a picture on the internet of gas prices in California. Ok. I will pay $3. And I will try not to complain, after all, Pete and I are extremely blessed by the company we work for. They give Pete a car with insurance, gas, and all maintenance paid. That is HUGE. We only have one car to worry about and I know how valuable that is. Just wanted to mark the $3 day.

On another note...

Today we went to a picnic at Soren's school. They had TAKS tests last week and so today was "play hard" since last week was "work hard". Anyway. The kids on the playground really surprised me. Usually when I am up at the school we are inside and teachers are nearby. On the playground the kids show their true colors because they know teachers ears are far away. The things they say to each other made me so sad. They are mean and hateful with their words and actions. They seem so sweet and naive but yet the things they say are very grown up. I talked to Soren about it for a long time and now I have something else to specifically pray over her. I pray that she will be the same person at all times. That she will obey the rules because that is what is in her heart, not because someone is watching. That her words and actions will be encouraging and show the love of Christ that is in her. She is a sweet sweet girl and I pray that the world does not take that away from her.

3 comments:

MattandSara said...

The gas thing DOES stink! They say it's going to get to $4 by summer--uugh!
I am always amazed at how kids seem to lose thier innocence earlier and earlier. I struggle with wanting to shelter my children and letting them explore the world and all that is in it. I think God gave you a glimpse into her world today so that you would pray for her. That's His amazing Mercy! I will say a prayer for her too.

Tami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tami said...

I hate gas. Every form of it.

About Soren...her Mom and Dad turned out pretty great, so she has good examples to learn from.