Saturday, August 4, 2007

our week

I went to work this week which means more cousin time for the kids. This time we stayed at Kara's house instead of Pops and Nana's because Pops and Nana were packing to leave for Africa and that is hard to do with the kids around.

Thank you to Kara and Jodi for taking care of the girls while I took care of business :)

Wednesday night Zach cooked steaks for everyone and we all gathered to say good bye to Pops and Nana for a few weeks. We have not heard from them since they left so we are assuming that they made it safely. We look forward to some great stories and pictures when they return at the end of the month.

On another note, the half triathlon that Pete talked me into signing up for is only 2 weeks away. I have my concerns about finishing. It will be the heat of the day when I finish the bike portion and head out for the 13 mile run, so when my 2 hour run workout came up this week I decided to do it in the heat of the day to see how hard that would be. I took one bottle of Gatorade and some shot blocks and headed out at 2 pm. I had a stomach ache for most of the run. I think it was too much sweet stuff. I wanted some water really bad. I was not running in the neighborhood because I thought that would get boring so I could not swing by the house to exchange my bottle for some water. By 3:30 I started to stumble some and get strange cramps. My toes curled up and would not uncurl and my jaw was locking up. I was pretty sure that I was dehydrated. I stopped running and walked for a few minutes and finished off the last of the Gatorade. I tried to run again but could not make my legs work without stumbling so I decided it was best to walk. I was about 5 miles away from the house and that was going to be a LONG walk. After about 30 minutes I saw the van in the distance. I have never been so grateful for a ride. Pete knew how long I was planning on going and came looking for me when I did not show up at home on time. I could barely crawl into the back of the van and just laid down for the ride home. Pete had a similar experience in his first marathon and I knew better than to let myself get dehydrated but I did not realize that one bottle was not enough when you are sweating so much. Another lesson learned. I will have to do something different on race day for sure. Really, my goal for this race is to finish before they shut down the course, which is 8 hours. I am afraid to make any other goals because I have never tried anything like this before. It is exciting and scary at the same time. We shall see...

2 comments:

Anita said...

You are so brave. I'm sure you will totally kick butt on your race day. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

I am so ready for cooler weather, only for running. I am having such a hard time getting up early enough to go running before it gets too hot. I think I've only been like 3 times since we got back from our trip. Bad me!

Marcia said...

This is Anita's sister, Marcia. I've been lurking on your blog for a while. It sounds like you and your family are always up to such fun stuff so it is fun to read.

You might try diluting your gaterade with a third to half water. It cuts down on the sweetness and you still get some of the benefits of the gatorade. For the stomach issues, you can try immodeum before starting out. I've found it to be a life saver on long (19 mile and up) runs especially if its hot out.