Monday, August 20, 2007

We made it home

We are home, safe and sound...


.....

see how sound!

.....

Last night after some recuperating at the hotel, Pete and I went to dinner with some new found friends. This was pretty interesting. For the first two hours of the bike portion of the race I went back and forth with a group of 5 riders; one lady in particular. I passed her on the flats and then she would pass me back on EVERY hill. Finally, after a few of these occurrences, she was passing and said "try pushing your heels down when you are going up hill, I think it will help you." I did not realize that I was pointing my toes down when I climbed. "Thanks! I will try it." I answered as I watched her pass me and ride out of site. For the rest of the ride I did this and it helped me not cramp in my feet, cool! When you cross the finish line they announce your name and where you are from. Pete had been waiting around for over an hour and noticed that there were a lot of people from Burleson! Crazy! They are our neighbors (so to speak) and we had never seen them until we go to Arkansas. Anyway, this lady that I played yo-yo with and who gave me helpful advice was one of these Burleson triathletes! We exchanged numbers and met up for dinner. At dinner we realized that their whole group of 6-10 athletes is training for the same Iron Man that Pete will be completing next June in Idaho. Crazy! So now we have new friends right here in town that we can swim, ride, and run with. It is a small world.


Oh yes, and also, when we first arrived at the restaurant and were waiting outside and introducing everyone to everyone, one of them said to me "you are Sara Underwood?" "Yes." "Did you know that you got 3rd place in your age group and you get a plaque?"


"WHAT?!?!?"


He had an ipod phone, got online and pulled up the results and showed me. I was shocked. I am still shocked. I did not stick around for the awards ceremony because I got my finishers medal and t-shirt and that is all I was going to get...or so I thought! So cool!

1 comment:

Tami said...

It is a small world! Congratulations on your 3rd place finish!