Thursday, August 9, 2007

tough question

Yesterday we were riding in the car and Soren was obviously pondering something. After a while she reaches over and turns off the radio and says, "mom, I don't get it. Adam and Eve were married, right? And they had kids. So who did their kids marry?" She wanted to know how the world was populated by two people. We got to discuss marrying cousins and stuff like that; very interesting. She has heard us tease about my mom's poodle, who we believe is a product of inbreeding and therefore has significant problems. That is how she understood my explanation of what can happen when relatives have children together and why it is no longer done. I don't know if what I said was the right thing to say or not. She is too analytical to give her some brush off answer. She makes me wish I knew more. I have to say "I am not sure" to her a lot. Maybe I should have said that yesterday!

Last night we stayed out playing with the neighbors for hours and the kids went through a huge bag of animal cookies. I am not sure how many Reese had, but she threw up when we came inside. As I was cleaning her up I told her that if she felt like she was going to do it again to please tell me so that we could go to the bathroom. She said "mom, next year when I am four on my birthday, I will probably throw up again then." At least I have plenty of warning, right?!

1 comment:

Ann said...

OH boy...some exciting things for you guys. I hope Soren gets whatever it is she's looking for. Victoria hasn't asked for one, yet! You are a great mom! You did a very hard thing throwing all the dress up stuff away. I hope that Reece can have them back at one point and be thrilled that she has learned her lesson -- one day she will thank you for it, even if she doesn't remember. Love you guys, Ann