Sunday, July 20, 2008

milestone

Yesterday I went to the Bike's Inc. Century of the Month bike ride. It is a 98 mile ride and I thought that would be a great opportunity to test my nutrition plan for the iron distance bike ride (112 miles). There were two distinct groups riding; one significantly faster than me and the other significantly slower. So I decided that I would be okay with my cue sheet and took off at my pace, which put me in between the two groups. I did fine for the first 25 miles, and then I took a wrong turn (dumb cue sheet!) Five miles later I was questioning my position and as we ride out on back country roads, there are no road signs anywhere! So there was a nice old man checking his mail and I stopped and asked if I was near Venus (this is where the first scheduled stop was on the ride). He smiled and said "you're going the wrong way!". So back I went and arrived at the gas station 10 miles over the scheduled distance. There were a couple of riders still there but they were not doing the same route as I was. They let me know that the slow group had left about 10 minutes earlier so I took off to try and catch them. Never saw another rider for the remaining 75 miles.

In the end I made 2 more mistakes making my total distance 115 miles! When I rolled over 100 miles I shouted out woo hoo! (this was my first time to actually ride 100) and then again when I passed 112 miles. It was a frustrating ride since I am not good at following directions when roads are not labeled, but I am so excited to know that I can do it. And I can do it alone. That was kind of hard.

Tomorrow we are off to Lake Travis! Gonna be a blast.

No comments: