Monday, July 16, 2007

Baby bunnies

When I was mowing this weekend I uncovered these...






I was not sure what they were at first because they are so small and have not opened their eyes. They are baby bunnies! Soren wanted to rescue them but I convinced her that they do not need to be rescued and that we should just watch and make sure that the mommy is still coming around. Soren was asking me all kinds of baby bunny questions and I told her that I had absolutely no knowledge about them. She disappeared into the computer room and came out with a print out all about what to do if you find them. She followed the instructions and covered up the hole with grass. Then she took some string and made an X over the top. If the X was disturbed the next morning and the babies had bulging bellies then you knew the mother had been there. Sure enough, she came, and their bellies were obviously full! The only problem is the ants. Fire ants had killed three of the babies that were alive just the day before. So Soren is out there now digging them a new home away from the ant bed in hopes that the mother will not object. If she does then I guess we will be raising some baby bunnies.

No comments: