Sunday, July 15, 2007

Random thoughts from the week

Another summer week has flown by us. We had a pretty average week with swim team and playing. We did get to see Pete's sister, Sarah, and her two kids for a short visit. My backyard finally dried out enough for me to mow; it only took SIX hours! The next day I went to Home Depot and invested in some round up and killed most of it. The house is 3 years old and apparently the backyard was never sodded, so it is all weeds. With the rain, those weeds were knee high and very thick and the lawn mower could barely push through them. I thought I was in pretty good shape, but that yard kicked my butt. Speaking of kicking butt, Pete and Soren both had races this weekend. I totally lost the battle to get to go to Pete's race and just have Soren miss hers. I cannot think of another time in our marriage when Pete has really told me no like that. Yes Sir. Anyway, I took Soren to the regional swim meet in Keller and Pete went to Joe Pool lake to do an olympic triathlon. Soren did GREAT! We will not be making a trip to Austin for the state meet but she is the 5th fastest 6-9 year old swimmer in the region and I am so proud of her. They only send the top 4 on to state; talk about a close one! She was 5th place in both freestyle races and 8th place in the backstroke. There were 577 swimmers at this meet. It was a mad house. I did not even get to watch her swim because the stands were completely packed and if you did not have a seat they sent you outside due to the fire code. I was sick about that. I had to wait and watch the timers. No pictures, can you believe that I do not have any pictures!!!

Pete did awesome, too. His race was a 1500 meter swim, 26 mile bike, and a 6 mile run. That is a hard distance because it is too long to sprint, but too short to really pace yourself. He was 6th in his age group. His goal was to be in the top 15 because of the athletes that were there. He was very happy with his standing.

I learned something new this week. There is no leash law in the country. Pete and I ride out on country roads to avoid traffic, and dogs can be a real problem. Lately I have been a regular dog magnet and I had started noting addresses with the intention of calling animal control to come pick up the dogs. This week I was approached by 5 dogs while their owner was standing in the road talking to someone in a truck. I stopped my bike (the dogs were surrounding me) and one of them bit me on the leg. I was furious. The lady was just standing there talking while her dogs were going crazy. I yelled "your dog just bit me!" and she shrugged her shoulders and kept talking. I walked my bike over to her and yelled it again. She replies "well, next time bring a gun." I really could not believe it. I immediately grabbed my phone and called 911 and explained that this was not an emergency but told them what was going on. "I'll show her! I will get the cops to come out here and give her a ticket for having her dogs out!" I was feeling so righteous in my anger. When the cops arrived I was quickly humbled. There is no leash law and she has every right to let her dogs chase me. What rights do I have? To defend myself. I did report the bite, but there was no physical evidence so it will not amount to anything. When I told Pete about it and explained where I was he told me that everyone knows about her dogs. Her house is on a route that is used for a local bike tour every year and if you look on the road near her house someone spray painted "watch out for dogs". I am resigned to the fact that dogs are going to be a part of the biking experience, but I am not happy about it.

In other news, remember how I had my sister's kids last weekend? She and Mat were down at a second interview with a church on lake Travis in Austin. Mat has accepted the worship ministry position. I am SO happy for them. As long as I have known Mat, one of his most obvious traits is delayed gratification (I don't think I worded that sentence correctly, but you know what I mean). If he wants something new he will save up from birthday to Christmas to get it. This is no different. His heart is in the music ministry and a long time dream of his has been to be the worship minister at a church. He has many years of experience being on worship teams, but this one will be his. It is so bitter sweet because it will mean a move, and we have not ever been that far apart, but I cannot help rejoicing with them for this opportunity. We are going to have a family work day on Saturday to help them get their house market ready. Thanks to Pops for sacrificing big time (Saturday is his birthday!).

So here we are, ready to start a new week. No 7 am swim team. I can handle that! Bring on the fun.

2 comments:

Kim said...

How annoying about the dogs! That would be really hard to ride and dogs can be scary!
Soren is an awesome swimmer. I am sorry you had to stand outside while she swam. I know it mean alot to her that you support her and are so proud of her.
I didn't know Kara was moving. I knew they were coming down here, but I am glad Mat got the job and they will be close to us.
Sounds like everyone is doing well. Have a fun work day this Saturday!!

Anita said...

Yeah for Mat and Kara. What a dream come true for him. Now I really have to get my butt in gear and see Kara this summer before they move!