Monday, July 2, 2007

A Great Weekend


Friday was my monthly work day, but I left at noon to go get Soren from camp. I was SO anxious to see her. Saturday morning was the triathlon for the kids and their parents, so Nana came along to watch Reese while I raced. Our trip consisted of many stops around Austin and I was afraid that I would get lost, but we had no problems and the traffic was not bad considering it was Friday. After going to packet pickup near downtown and checking into our hotel we headed to the campus for the awards ceremony. Soren was awarded the "mountain goat" award because she was the strongest at climbing hills on her bike. She had so much fun that she did not want to leave. The kids as well as the counselors were completely exhausted from their week of swimming, biking and running. Soren had more scabs and bruises, which is no surprise. I commented on them and she said that if you fall when biking that means that you are a true biker. I guess. We packed up all of her dirty, wet clothes and headed back to the hotel.


Soren and Coach Richard from Tri Camp




Saturday morning we left at 6:00 am to go to the race. You go to packet pickup the day before a triathlon so that you do not have to stand in line at 6:00 am to check in the morning of the race. This one was different. They still wanted us to stand in line. After 30 minutes in line, and the start time of the race already past, they decided that if we did packet pickup and had our timing chips, we did not have to stand in line. Yea! That was frustrating. I took Soren over to the pool so she could warm up and then we waited. The race was scheduled to start at 7:30 and they finally got going at 8:20. That is also unusual. These things are usually very structured and start exactly on time. This was the first time they have tried having a kids race and then an adult race and asked us to bear with them as they worked out all of the kinks. Soren was in the first group to go; girls 6-9 years old. She was the 10th person in the water and the 1st person to cross the finish line. It was very exciting. She was first by over 3 minutes.


Soren ready to start her race



exiting the water headed for transition 1




leaving transition 1 heading out on the bike




passing by on the bike course




finished!


She was finished by 9:00 and the first heat of adults did not get in the water until 11:00. That was a long wait. It could have been terrible, but the race was held in a private neighborhood recreation area with a park and 3 pools. The lifeguards were so nice to let us play in the other two pools while we waited. We had a blast.


playing at the park while we waited for the adult race




I was about ready to go home when it was finally time for my heat to go. It was noon and it was very hot. I am glad I stayed, though! I got first place in my age group as well! That was cool. I was 10th overall, 4th overall woman. I still cannot believe it. The best part was getting to go fall into the pool after I crossed the finish line. Water has never felt so good.

finishing the bike, headed to transition 2 for the run



finished!



I wish someone had told me that my hat was crooked and I looked like a dork! That could have been a great picture!


Because of how well we both did, Soren and I decided that we wanted to stick around for the awards ceremony. That meant waiting until the last person was off of the course. We did not leave until 2:30. It was such a fun day and I am so grateful to my mom for coming. I could not have done the race without her and I am so glad I did! We are back now and I am glad to have Soren with me again. I think she grew another foot while she was gone. She is changing so fast; I don't want to miss a minute!


5 comments:

Anita said...

You and Soren are AWESOME! You both show some serious discipline in your training. How cool that Soren has found something she's so good at so young. Keep it up girls!

MattandSara said...

I am so amazed by you and your athletic family. I had to laugh at the post about Reese "noticing" the person with the large bum in public...she'd definitely notice mine! I need to talk to you somtime about your bike. I think I'd like to get into that but not sure how to start. I'm glad that Soren enjoyed camp and did so well in the triathlon (you too!). I think you asked me on one of my blogs about my work schedule. Right now I work all day on Tuesdays, and then Wed and Thurs morning. That will probably change this fall. I'm hoping to work two full days and "get it over with." I'd love to see you this summer. If you have my email address, shoot me an email so I will have yours.

guma187 said...

hola!!!
http://guma187.blogspot.com

Tami said...

I wish I had that sort of discipline! You guys are amazing!

tamandscott said...

Congratulations! That is such an amazing accomplishment. Soren is going to be some coach's dream in highschool!