Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 5 - 6/20 - 1st full day in Coeur d'Alene




The Swim


We started our first full day here by going to the 7 am practice swim. They set up the buoys for the race and have support boats out so that you can swim without worrying about boat traffic and without being alone if you have a problem. The water is up to 57 degrees, which is great; 3 days ago it was still 51. I HAD to do this. I came all the way here and I knew I would want to get in the water, so I brought my wet suit. I told Pops to take my picture so that everyone would believe that I really did get in the water. My plan was to swim out to the first buoy and then come back, 10 minutes max.

Right before we started, Pete insisted that I wear his neoprene cap and booties. I accepted. We dove in. The first few seconds took my breath away. My body was warm but my face was in shock. We took off toward the first buoy and I still felt warm enough (not warm, but not miserable like I thought it would be). I am drafting off of Pete and after 5 minutes I realized that I was breathing way too hard and I needed to slow down a bit, but my body still felt ok. You know how Pete loves me, so he slowed a bit and we went on. Long story short, we did a whole lap, 1.2 miles! I warmed up with the effort and was actually comfortable. I still cannot believe it. I was completely elated when we got out. The cold set in after I got out and was not moving as much, so we changed and went down the street for some hot tea and a muffin. SO COOL. I really did not expect to do that and I am so glad I did. So fun, so encouraging to know that it is going to be ok on Sunday, I was really worried about the athletes.

this is a view of the beach where the swim will start


getting on the gear, trying to psych ourselves up to really get in that cold water

Time out to pose with a few of our friends







standing in the water - last chance to back out!




Off we go! Dude, that's COLD!

were out there somewhere...

one of our support people




headed back to the beach after a successful lap!!



I Did It!





The Bike




After warming up with breakfast, I took off on my bike with two of my girl friends who are up here for the race. We rode 2 different legs of the bike course, most of the run course and then I rode a really great paved trail back to our hotel in Post Falls. The scenery is spectacular. The run course is flat and follows the shore of the lake for quite a while, so hopefully that will help inspire the weary athletes when they get to that point.


Pete's adoring fans


2 comments:

MattandSara said...

Big prayers for tomorrow! Let us know how he did!

tamandscott said...

You are both amazing!!