Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day 6 - 6/20 - 2nd day in Coeur d'Alene

Another amazing day. Wow. What a great trip this is.

This morning Pete's brother, Mark, and I went running and Pops went for his speed walk (he walks faster than I jog). Then we went down town so that Pete could turn in his bike and special needs bags.
Pete and Mark check out the bike one last time before dropping it off at the race site
Just a very few of the athletes racking their bikes. Tomorrow this area will have 2,300 bikes!


I had another opportunity to ride today and this time we headed west toward Spokane, Washington. Up here, bikers are everywhere. They have their own roads, not just a lane on the regular road, but a separate paved road just for bikers and it goes forever. We rode from Coeur d'Alene, across the Washington / Idaho state line and down the Spokane river into the city. Absolutely beautiful. So much fun.

This is the Centennial Trail. It is only one of many trails available up here.
Me and Heidi on the bridge over the Spokane River. When you cross the river you cross the state line


The Washington - Idaho state line. It is cool to think that I rode my bike from Idaho to Washington, never mind that it was only 30 miles...

I took this shot while I was riding. It gives you some idea of the scenery that we enjoyed on our ride


While I rode, Pete and the others drove the bike course that he will ride tomorrow. It was actually encouraging to him. He said that there are definitely some intense hills, but overall, it is not too bad.

a few of the hills Pete gets to climb!

After my ride, Pops and I headed over to check out a local attraction. It is called The Falls and it is the damn built back in 1905 to increase the power of the water in the river for electricity. Pretty neat.


That is some powerful water!





Tonight we celebrated Pete's Dad's birthday with some pizza (Pete needed to carb load) and are turning in early so that we can be up and out of here by 4:30 am.


Mark, Pete, Sara, Sammie, Robert





To track Pete's race tomorrow, go to http://www.ironman.com/ . Under "Ford Ironman Coeur d'Alene", choose "athlete tracker". Pete's bib # is 447, or you can enter his last name. This site will update each time he passes certain check points. I am 99% sure that I will have internet access tomorrow during the race and if so I will update this site each time he passes me and try to post a picture so stay tuned! The race starts at 7 am our time, 9 am Texas time. Until then...

No comments: