Monday, June 16, 2008

Let the Adventure Begin!


I cannot believe that it has been a year since I posted that Pete signed up to do Ironman Coeur d'Alene. When he signed up he had not even done a half iron distance triathlon. In this year he has gone from an olympic distance to a half iron to the full ironman distance (Redman, last September). Now he will go to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and complete the Ironman.


This race has some new challenges for Pete. HILLS. Lots and lots of hills. Also, they are still having winter weather up there and the swim is going to be interesting. The lake, as of today, is 51 degrees. That is too cold even in a wet suit. He bought some socks and a cap that are for cold water but what we really need is a good 5 degree rise in water temperature so that it is safe for the athletes. Pete is not worried, he said he is going to just drink a lot before the swim so he can pee a lot and stay warm. gross.


So dad and I leave tomorrow with the van loaded down with 4 bikes to drive 2000+ miles to pick Pete up from the airport in Spokane on Thursday. His race is next Sunday. I am going to try to post about our trip each night (assuming I will have internet access). So stay tuned for all the details of this exciting adventure and keep us in your prayers as we travel on land and in the air across the country....

I snuck this picture of Pete while he was trying on his new cap and goggles. This is the special cap that is made of the same material as the wet suit, so it should help keep some body heat in. What he needs is some body fat!

1 comment:

MattandSara said...

He can have some of my body fat...I'm a happy donor! I will be praying for you and your dad as you drive and for Pete. When's the race?